Where to eat in Hay on Wye
Hay-on-Wye is not just all about books and festivals, it’s also about great pubs, cafe’s, restaurant’s and gorgeous food, often locally sourced and made, washed down with local ciders, ales and juices. Here is our run down of where to eat in Hay on Wye.
- Cosy Cafe – A warm and welcoming cafe in the heart of Hay for folk to enjoy great coffee, tasty cakes and wholesome food.
- The Granary – An established family cafe serving fresh, homemade seasonal food, coffee & cakes, a favorite for cyclists because of the outdoor tables, a great spot for people watching.
- The Sandwich Cellar – Freshly prepared hot and cold sandwiches, cakes, Yorkshire tea and Black Mountain coffee. Seasonal foods (Soups, Waffles and Salads), and lots of homemade goodies! Eat outside under parasols, inside, or takeaway.
- Angie’s Cafe – The place to go for breakfast baps and delicious cakes, all served with a side of good humour.
- The Old Electric Shop – A beautiful cafe and shop with a nicely chilled boho vibe and a blackboard menu putting creative riffs on vegetarian soups, salads and curries.
Restaurants & Pubs:
- Chapters – Of all the places in Hay, Chapters is probably the one with the greatest foodie credentials. Included in the 2022 Michelin Guide, Chapters exudes an intimate rustic-cum-vintage style with its parquet flooring, wood panelling and leaded windows. The set menu changes every six weeks and local sourcing is key. Hyper-seasonal, attractively presented dishes deliver original flavours.
- Tomatito’s – Tapas and wine is our kind of combination. Try the pork & herb meatballs, patatas bravas, and anchovy fillets (and everything else) and you can’t go wrong. Did we mention they serve lovely wine?!
- The Old Black Lion – Recently named one of the best pubs in Wales, this pub is mixture of olde-worlde charm and new Century finesse in this Grade II listed building. Boasting award winning food with an ambiance and service to match. A daily range of delicious dishes ensures there is something for everyone and live jazz each Friday.
- The Swan at Hay – Modern, local menus, including seasonal Welsh dishes using produce from local suppliers. Menus offer classic dishes, that are well executed, whilst the Garden Room Restaurant offers a truly luxurious experience in classical surroundings. Lovely beer garden for alfresco dining.
- Burger Me @ The Globe – Hay’s newest foodie establishment offers specialty burgers and finger-lickin’ sides.
- The Three Tuns – A traditional 16th Century Inn, the Three Tuns Pub and Restaurant is reputed to be the oldest surviving house in the town. The restaurant offers an Italian-inspired menu which is available throughout the day to enjoy in front of a crackling fire during winter or on our sun-soaked terrace in the summer.
- The Conservative Club – ‘Martino’s’ Pub restaurant is open to non-members and very family friendly. Great place to go for pub grub and to watch sporting fixtures. They also do amazing Sunday lunches which are available to takeaway.
Delis & Takeaway’s
- Hay Deli – This deli is a complete treat. Stocked with the best of Welsh and Herefordshire local fair, including Alex Gooch bread, a cracking Welsh Barti Ddu Rum alongside so much more.
- Hay Markets – Trading for over 700 years, Hay Market Day is a not-to-be-missed vibrant local market held in the center of Hay-on-Wye every Thursday. Foodie Heaven – trust us!
- Castle Green Grocers – There is something special about experiencing locally farmed, fresh, seasonal produce at a local country grocer. Make sure you visit this one.
- Origin Pizza – The best pizzas made using fresh ingredients. Caters to vegan, veggie, gluten free, lactose intolerant and meat lovers. Thurs/Fri/Sat (Hay-On-Wye) from 5.30pm, at Hay Cinema Bookshop or at Hay Market every Thursday Lunchtime.
- Hay Takeaway – Yummy fish and chip shop open Thursday-Saturday. They serve generous portions and make excellent kebabs.
- Shepherds Ice Cream – it wouldn’t be weekend break without an ice cream. All ice creams from Shepherd’s are made from local sheep’s milk. We particularly love the strawberries and cream. They also sell a range of light lunch bites and cakes. A regular Saturday treat in our house!
- The Bean Box – Riverside Coffee Shop. Sit at one of the riverside tables or grab a takeaway coffee and cake for a stroll along the riverbank down to the Warren.
- Hay Distillery – Wild Knapp Gin – A fabulous micro distillery based in the heart of Hay in Wye. Pop in and watch the distilling in process, buy bottles of gin, beautiful glasses and bar ware or stop in and have a drink in the welcoming tasting room.
Explore and Enjoy!
We hope you like our list of where to eat in Hay on Wye and that you get to visit some of these fantastic eateries during your stay in Hay on Wye. By the Wye Treetop Glamping is a 5minute walk from the center of Hay on Wye, an ideal base for your next foodie break! Check availability here.