Happy New Year!
We hope you all enjoyed the festive period and spending time with loved ones at family celebrations. Why not carry on celebrating and plan family holidays to look forward to in 2023 with a glamping gathering in Wales. Book a stay at By the Wye, go off-grid and let the children run free to explore the woods. Whether with your own extended family or as a group of family friends, create lasting memories at By the Wye; browse the book-town of Hay-on-Wye and explore the Brecon Beacons National Park and take a look at all the family activities you can enjoy during your stay. Pack your adventurous spirit, escape to nature and sleep in luxury beneath the stars.
We’ve hand-picked these activity recommendations with our family holidays in mind. Whatever your interests, there’s something for you and whilst minimum numbers do apply for some, if you’re interested in any of the family activities just let us know and we’ll see if we can build a group for you. Here’s a taster of the activities you can book on your family holidays this summer:
River Wye Activities
- Canoeing – Book canoe hire with Celtic Canoes, or Want to Canoe or book tailored canoe coaching and guided trips with Sandeman Canoe Company
- Stand Up Paddleboarding – with Peter Mayall Paddlesports
- Gorge Walking – with Fred Wright at Interactivities
- Wild Swimming in the river Wye.
- Fishing – easy access to over a mile of fishing. The stretch of the River Wye in Hay on Wye offers some fantastic public fishing for barbel, chub, roach, dace, pike, grayling, trout and salmon. Learn more about Fishing the River Wye.
Family Holidays in Hay-on-Wye
- Bushcraft and Wilding activities onsite with Dan
- Horse Riding – at TREGOYD or FREE-REIN
- Archery – available onsite with Fred Wright at Interactivities
- Indoor Climbing – at LLANGORSE MULTIACTIVITY CENTRE.
- Cycling – book local cycle hire with DROVERS CYCLES where bikes can be dropped off at your accommodation on arrival.
- Wild Foraging – with ADELE NOZEDAR
- Walks – we have two national trails, the OFFA’S DYKE PATH and the WYE VALLEY WALK passing through the town, and the protected countryside of the BRECON BEACONS NATIONAL PARK on it’s doorstep. If you’re not confident walking without a guide, but are keen to explore, Laura from GUIDED TOURS OF WALES offers guided walking tours in town or discover the stunning hills & valleys with Sarah from Walk Hay who organises guided lowland walking.
- Stargazing in the Brecon Beacons National Park
The stunning surroundings of By the Wye is perfect for big groups and family holidays; our luxury glamping site is perfect for getting everyone out into nature in style and offers all manner of activities, including fishing, walking, bushcraft and canoeing. The town of Hay-on-Wye is a short walk away and the Brecon Beacons National Park on our doorstep for exploring. Make some lifelong memories with friends, families and loved ones by planning a reunion, birthday or anniversary gathering in 2023.
Our safari tents sleep up to 5 people, but if you are looking for larger accommodation, we are currently constructing a tree-top walkway connecting two of our SAFARI TENTS; The Ivy and Meadow, so if you are a family group of 10 people this could be an ideal option for your next group glamping holiday.
In other exciting news, we are adding another Safari Tent to our collection this winter which will sleep up to 6 people. The name is either going to be Oak or Hazel, which do you prefer? Sign up to our MAILING LIST for updates and keep an eye on social media to watch our progress with the build and bathing facilities. When it is completed, we will have accommodation for 28 people in total, ideal for group glamping gatherings.
To speak to our glamping group co-ordinator please call 01497828166 or email [email protected]. If you book the whole By the Wye site for exclusive use then you will receive a 10% large group discount. With large family group bookings we require a security deposit of £500 per large booking, this will be refunded within 7 days of your departure. Please note that we do not host stag/hen parties and have a strict music curfew of 11.00pm.